Ahhh it’s that time of the year again! The time right before Valentine’s day that some people dread while others are waiting to post the perfect couple picture!<33
Love is in the air!
Luckily for me, my birthday falls right before V-Day so I’ve had other things on my brain. Is it bad/sad that 99% of the time I would rather hang out with friends than go on a sh*ty date anyway? Well- whether I like it or not, that’s what is on the agenda this year!
It’s hard for some people to understand that no matter how many things you try to change or fix about yourself for someone, some people are just not meant to be. I’m a very firm believer in this and want to share a favorite quote of mine:
“Do not chase people. Be you and do your own thing and work hard. The right people who belong in your life will come to you and stay.”
I’m not sure who wrote this but I scribbled it down on a piece of paper and framed it three years ago as a personal reminder. I am all about not rushing into sh*ty situations. If a relationship isn’t going to be great, why be in it? No one is forcing you! Good things take time and come when you least expect it. So as my mother always told me- “Stop being so desperate!”
On another note! As spring time approaches (?) I highly recommend going for a more layered look instead of just throwing on your big parka. Try different styles on top of each other like I did here. Just because it’s a coat, doesn’t mean you can’t put another coat over it!
I sat down with the manager of one of my favorite stores, All Saints, and he told me one of the hardest things for Midwestern men to grasp is the idea of layering. Because it gets so cold in Chicago, people rush to find the warmest, most unflattering down jacket as opposed to layering on piece by piece.
I made these ripped jeans with the help of my roommate. All we used was a cheap pair of Forever 21 jeans, a scissor and our dryer! This trendy look of the cut off bottoms could go out of style any day so there’s no need to spend $$$ on it. Also if you need to take out some anger this Valentine’s Day, why not do it to a pair of old jeans? ?
My boss sent a really inspiring email out the other day with some tips that got me thinking about how to be more productive in and outside the workplace. If you’ve been stuck in a rut about love or work- these tips will definitely help:
1. Smile and be positive. Unless something really bad just happened (The Presidency), there is no reason you can’t start off each day with a smile and positive attitude. You’ll see how differently others start to view you!
2. Be conscious in every interaction and leave that person’s mind in a better place than you found it. There have been so many interactions throughout my life where I feel like I was asleep. Instead of going through the motions everyday- be present, live in the moment and speak your mind. Don’t settle for “being out of it.” Do what you need to do (coffee) to get your head in the game. You can feel the difference between a real interaction and a bull-sh*t one.
3. Bring good energy. No one is magnetized to dull. If you bring negative energy to the table, the only thing you’re going to get back is negative energy! Be someone that people LOVE to be around. If someone has a bad attitude, don’t match it- CHANGE IT.
4. Remember to have fun! Do things that you love to do and step outside of your comfort zone. Start hanging out with different friend groups and trying new restaurants. Don’t settle. Don’t settle. Don’t settle!
5. Always dress the part. Duh, welcome to The Dean’s List 😉
Ciao for now,
PHOTOS- IRON AND HONEY
Denim Jacket- LEVIS
Jeans- FOREVER 21
Watch- MARC JACOBS